This article may contain affiliate links. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
An overheated engine can be more of a threat than your average heat wave. You see, an engine which is too hot will likely malfunction and, in extreme cases, cause hazards.
This is where antifreeze coolants come in. This liquid is usually bright green in color and helps to cool off the engine. A good coolant has the most premium makeup and can last for hours.
We have prepared a list of the top 5 best engine antifreeze and coolants which we encountered when on the hunt for the best coolants in the market.
See for yourself, and don’t forget to check out our buying guide.
- Best Engine Antifreeze And Coolants On The Market 2021 Reviews
- Buying Guide for the Best Engine Antifreeze and Coolants
Best Engine Antifreeze And Coolants On The Market 2021 Reviews
1 Zerex G-05 by Valvoline
Valvoline is a great brand that we trust due to its high reliability and reputation. The Valvoline Zerex is a great choice for users who want the best antifreeze formula in the lowest budget possible. We chose this product for its high efficiency and longevity. The formula was created by expert scientists to suit any type of car or SUV.
The Valvoline Zerex uses a non-phosphate, low silicate, low pH, a mainly nitrite based formula which is designed to work with any sort of engine and to protect all system materials from corrosion.
What’s more is that the Valvoline can also protect car parts and cylinders from hard water deposits, cavitations, and over ten different types of corrosion. Apart from that, the Valvoline makes excellent use of a high-quality defamer which reduces damage caused to hoses, pipes, and other metal or plastic parts. It even protects vehicle varnishes and paint jobs.
We consider this a great product if you really want to enhance your engine’s cooling while ensuring that your engine parts are as safe as can be. Apart from all the other features, this is also a great product for its durability and lifespan. One gallon will last you for months.
- Highly efficient. Uses non-phosphate, low pH, low silica, and nitrite based compound.
- Protects car parts and all system materials, including aluminum, from corrosion.
- Protects cylinders from cavitations and hard water deposits.
- Uses high-quality defamer substances to reduce the amount of corrosion by the coolant.
- Maintains car’s original finish and paint job. Good for retaining car condition.
- Highly durable. One gallon can last up to 2 months or more.
- Some engines may accumulate a sticky coating over the cylinders.
2 Zerex Original by Valvoline
The Zerex Original Green Coolant is another product from the previous manufacturers. And just like the first product, this too has the same level of efficiency and durability. We chose this antifreeze since it offers premium quality protection even at temperatures lower than freezing.
The main compound is based on an organic acid which works best in fighting against rust and corrosion. We recommend it for those who use heavier duty vehicles. Firstly, the Zerex Original green can operate at critical temperatures. We don’t know the maximum, but the lowest is around negative 34 degrees Fahrenheit.
This is a great range since most low-end coolants tend to freeze up or clog the system at extreme temperatures. Apart from that, the main compound is formulated from pure organic acid mixed with a hint of additives to enhance the quality.
This coolant is the best for reducing damage caused by rust, corrosion, hard water deposits, and of course, overheating. If you didn’t buy this, you’re missing out.
Finally, we can say that the second product on our list deserves its position there. We love a good coolant, and the Zerex Original Green is exactly what we pictured it to be.
- Operates at temperatures as low as -34 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Made from an organic acid and multiple additives to reduce corrosion and subtend accumulation.
- Does not jam the system even in the cold weather. Harder to freeze and solidify.
- Helps the system run smoothly with little to no lags or obstacles.
- The trust of over a hundred different customers.
- Recommended for customers with heavier duty cars and vehicles, like SUVs or trucks.
- Reduces corrosion, hard water accumulation, and rusting.
- May not last long enough. Maximum shelf life is estimated at one month or lower.
- 100% concentrated. Needs to be diluted manually.
3 TYDS008 by Engine Ice
The third product on our list is manufactured and distributed by Engine Ice, the nation’s leading company in engine coolants and antifreeze agents. When we first tested out the product, we didn’t think that it might be much.
But we soon found out how wrong we were. The Engine Ice is the best choice any car enthusiast or racer can make. We dub this as the best engine coolant for performance cars.
The compound if biodegradable and made free from all sorts of phosphates and toxic liquids. The liquid coolant itself can withstand a temperature above 256 degrees Fahrenheit while it lowers the system’s temperature to up to -26 degrees.
The coolant itself is legalized and approved by ASRA and CCS and is one of the most widely acclaimed ones in the world. Other than that, the formula uses propylene glycol, a compound which helps to reduce water pump gasket failures. The product can even work in high-load or high-stress conditions, such as at extreme temperatures.
Apart from all this, Engine Ice’s Coolant can work easily with any type of metal. Be it aluminum, steel, carbon fiber, or any other material. It is widely recommended by racetracks all over the world and is the perfect item to combat the heat of performance and racing cars.
- Uses non-phosphate, non-toxic compound that is both biodegradable and fuel efficient.
- Can operate at extreme temperatures ranging from +256 to -26 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Approved by the CCS and ASRA and by multiple other racing track boards.
- Uses propylene glycol to enhance performance and reduce seal and gasket failure.
- Works with any system metal, including aluminum and even carbon fiber.
- Long lifespan. Can last for months before running out.
- Seems to be incompatible with various car brands and manufacturers.
4 Star Cool by Star-Brita
Star-Brita is the number one reason why we even trust in antifreeze agents so much. Normally, even the best coolants can break apart and continue to ruin the entire engine. We ourselves have had to get our engines repaired multiple times.
But it is products like the Star-Brita which makes us realize that the world isn’t a bad place after all and that quality is not dead. To start off with, the Star-Brita Coolant uses a PTV additive engine package which lets the entire system cool off with ease. This makes the engine worthy of another drive without overheating.
We don’t know the exact operating temperatures, but we found that the coolant worked completely fine even at the highest temperature our car could generate.
Other than that, the Star-Brita meets OEM and ASTM regulations and is approved by both. One other thing we love about the Star-Brita is that its special formula can seal pinholes and leaks.
The compound does not contain any ethylene glycol, which is most toxic and deadly for the environment. This is why we consider this as the most eco-friendly engine antifreeze on our list. Surely, if you bought this, both you and your surroundings will remain safe.
- PTV additives lower operating temperatures, allowing the engine to cool off safely.
- Meets OEM and ASTM standards. Highly professional and authentic product.
- Can fill in pinhole leaks and cracks. A great choice for combating system failure.
- Extremely eco-friendly. Free from ethylene glycol, which is hazardous for the surroundings?
- Lasts for up to 2 months depending on the volume of the bottle you buy.
- Costs very low. The price is moderate enough but not too much.
- Does not work with any model of BMWs. It is best to use a BMW coolant.
5 Midlife Universal by Valvoline
When we say universal, we mean it. The Midlife Valvoline Antifreeze works for any and all car parts, made of any metal, and can perform all types of functions that you want it to. The only difference is that some models of cars may not be compatible. But those cases are very rare. The least we have seen is that the Midlife didn’t suit one customer out of several hundred.
The Midlife uses Alugard Plus. This technology lets the multiple different compounds of the Midlife work in harmony instead of negating each other. The compound itself is made up of several additives, including propylene glycol and the usual antifreeze.
What we like about the Midlife Valvoline coolant is that it can perform multiple tasks. Not only does it stop the system from overheating, but it can seal broken gaskets and leaks, keep the engine running smoothly, and also increase the overall fuel efficiency of the car. This is truly an all in one product.
Apart from that, we also recommend this for its long shelf life. Additionally, it works with any and all makes and models, save for a very few cars, like the BMW or performance cars. This is mostly designed for passenger or cargo vehicles, so we suggest it for those.
- Uses Alugard Plus to keep its compounds working together instead of nullifying each other.
- Universal product. Works with any and all makes of cars and brands, except a few special cases.
- Best for passenger and cargo vehicles and SUVs.
- Does not include ethylene glycol, the most toxic substance commonly used in antifreeze agents.
- Can heal broken gaskets and seals for better performance and smoothness.
- Some versions do not come pre-diluted and need to be diluted by hand. Be careful of which one you buy.
Buying Guide for the Best Engine Antifreeze and Coolants
When we picked out our top 5 list, we took into consideration a few criteria before finalizing our choices. If you follow our list, you will likely end up with some of the world’s best antifreeze agents.
However, if our list didn’t do the trick for you and you want to buy another coolant, then take a look at our buying guide. We have listed down all the criteria that we considered for our top 5 engine antifreeze list.
The formula of the antifreeze makes the biggest difference. If the formula isn’t correct, then it could cost severe damage to your engine. And if the formula is too hard on the engine, you might need a full repair immediately.
When we chose our list, we looked for formulae which were free from toxic compounds (more on this later), highly fuel efficient, and approved by multiple different organizations. Even if the OEM approves it, you know you’ve got a decent product in your hands. The formula differs from brand to brand, so there isn’t much generalization we can do here.
The operating temperatures are the next thing to look for. Generally, coolants have to handle a lot of heat, and overheating can cause their molecules to break apart. This is why they must be able to withstand a lot of heat before breaking.
A typical maximum range should be 200 degrees Fahrenheit or above. Simultaneously, coolants need to withstand their own temperatures, so the low should be below -20 or -30 degrees Fahrenheit. A good coolant exceeds this limit and can handle the car in any condition, hot or cold.
Just like fuels and gas emissions, coolants can also be pretty toxic at times. The main cause of this toxicity is the use of ethylene glycol. It is crucial for reducing the raw material price of the product. However, this renders the antifreeze a hazard for the environment.
If you want to help your environment benefit from technology, then only use formulae which use propylene glycol instead. Many don’t even use glycol compounds and only employ high-efficiency nitrite based substances. The use of lead, mercury, heavy metals such as bismuth, and even phosphates can be deadly for the surroundings.
Last but not least, you need to keep your budget in mind. If you’ve got a high paying job, then any type of coolant should be fine by you. But if you’re low on the budget, then the best coolants may just not be in your favor.
A typical antifreeze can cost as much as $100 and as low as $20. But the $20 versions usually use ethylene glycol. Therefore, don’t prepare yourself for any good quality products at such a price. Normally, we’d recommend the $30+ range. These are great and most of our top 5 products lie in this range as well.
Engine antifreeze agents and coolants are the most important substances used by car enthusiasts. But be warned: the best coolants can’t be found just anywhere. So use our buying guide wisely and only spend on coolants which you are certain are the best.
And don’t forget to give our top 5 a try. Although we consider all five products to be equally amazing, however, we do have a personal favorite. Pick out your own favorite or go our top pick i.e. Zerex G-05 by Valvoline. It is a great choice who want the best antifreeze formula in the lowest budget possible. Its formula uses a non-phosphate, low silicate, low pH and nitrite to work with any sort of engine. We consider this a cost-effective product because one gallon will last you for months.
Don’t forget to drive safely and responsibly!