This article may contain affiliate links. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Either you work your way at home, or you are a professional, having an array of tools get you through numerous jobs conveniently. However, you need to be organized and keep all your tools easily accessible in one place. It will save plenty of your time. Therefore, we have brought you our reviews on some of the best tool chests available on the market.
Some of them are affordable and offer great value while others are pricey and deliver exceptional quality. We will also provide you with our buying guide to assist you what to look for when buying a tool chest.
So let’s begin with the reviews first!
- 10 Of Best Tool Chests Available In 2023 Reviews
- Buying Guide For Best Tool Chests
10 Of Best Tool Chests Available In 2023 Reviews
1 Excel TB2105X
The TB2105X 26-inch tool chest comes with a steel top and five different drawers with ball bearing slides. Each of these drawers has a capacity of 50 lbs. You can use them for storing your tools, equipment, and other hardware items.
The body of this tool chest is made of heavy-duty (cold rolled) steel and comes with powder coated finishing. It resists scratches and enhances the durability of the chest. You can forget about placing your equipment and bending the frames.
Furthermore, Excel has equipped this tool chest with recessed handles on the sides so that you can move it around your workplace conveniently. You can move it around easily and forget about the noise that a conventional tool chest tends to make. The chest also comes with a locking mechanism with two keys.
This locking mechanism keeps your tools safe and secure at one place. The pulls of the drawers are made of aluminum and are also finished with powder coating. Even if your drawer is bearing plenty of weight, you can pull it out easily without much effort.
You can place it anywhere you want in your workplace, and its blue color tone looks very appealing too.
- The tool chest comes with five drawers equipped with ball bearings.
- The heavy duty frame made of cold-rolled steel makes the chest very durable along with its powdered finishing.
- Excel has recessed the side handles for convenient mobility.
- The tool chest comes with a locking mechanism to keep your equipment safe.
- The drawer pulls have aluminum for additional strength and durability.
- It tends to rust on the inside
- The chest is slightly expensive
2 Leather Bound Husky Drawer 23
The Drawer 23 by Leather Bound Husky is big. It is 56-inch in size and comes with rolling casters. So storage capacity is not going to be and issues here. It has separate storage for your long tools and equipment.
Now you don’t have to worry about placing these tools on the top of your chest because your cabinet doesn’t come with appropriate size. The cabinet drawers are deep and can withstand 100 lbs each. The Drawer 23 has top quality casters that enable to move the chest around as per your convenience.
The best part is that you can conveniently lock your casters so that it doesn’t move around when you are working. Leather Bound Husky has recessed the side handles, and you can move your cabinet without putting in much effort.
The black color of this cabinet allows it to blend in your workplace and doesn’t make it stand out. The company has powder coated the steel frame of this chest. Powder coating not only enhances the durability but also adds strength to the cold-rolled steel.
The heavy duty frame stays true to the test of time and doesn’t rust. The tool chest is best for large spaces because of its massive size.
- The Drawer 23 is made of solid steel (cold-rolled) frame and has a powder coating finish.
- It comes with top-notch casters for easy mobility.
- The side handles are recessed, and you can conveniently drag the chest around.
- There is separate storage for long tools.
- Each of the drawers comes with a load capacity of 100 lbs.
- Some people have reported an issue with the slide rail rivets of this tool chest that they tend to stick.
3 DeWalt DWST17806
The DWST17806 tool chest from DeWalt is more focused on space convenience than anything else. If you want plenty of options whether to go for a trolley or a long handle or even a flat top, then go with the DWST17806.
This toolbox has it all, and you can choose anything you like according to your convenience and requirements. It offers various platforms that come with a variety of combinations for your facilitation. If you are not low on budget, then you can buy most of them and stack them up.
While working, you can take one out and put it back on top when you are done. You can connect all these units with easy to use side latches that are highly durable. Each unit comes with an internal removable tray, and you can use it to add or remove the section in all your units.
The weight capacity of each of these units is 44 lbs. The hinges and latches of each unit comprise of heavy duty metal for added durability. It is all about convenience with this toolbox because you can connect different boxes with latches to create your tool chest.
- With this toolbox, you get the option of buying different tool boxes and converting them into a tool chest.
- Each of the units serves a different purpose and has a load capacity of 44 lbs.
- You can connect the units with latches that are made of heavy duty metals.
- You can connect a trolley with handles and a toolbox with a long handle as well.
- Separately buying each toolbox is facilitating, but it will become a costly option as well.
4 Viper V4109BLC
The V4109BLC from Viper is another massive tool cabinet. The 41-inch tool chest comes with nine drawers. Viper has made this tool chest using 18-gauge steel for added strength. It means that the cabinet not only offers great storage space but is also very durable. Now, you can keep all your equipment and tools in one place and forget about misplacing them.
This conveniently priced chest comes in two different colors to enable you to stay straight with your interiors. Each of the drawers of the V4109BLC chest has a load capacity of 100 lbs, and you can place anything you want in them without having a fear that you will bend or break them.
There is gas strut on the lids, and you can lock each drawer with a high-quality locking mechanism that never falters. It means that your tools remain safe and sound in your tool chest. It comes with powdered coating finish which not only adds to the looks of this chest but also provides strength.
Viper has made the drawer pulls using aluminum for keeping the chest lightweight without compromising on strength. There are two side handles as well which enable you to move around your cabinet for convenience.
- Viper has made the frame of this tool chest with 18-gauge steel for extra durability.
- The tool chest comes with nine drawers, and each drawer has 100 lbs load capacity.
- It comes with a powder coating finish that looks marvelous.
- You can lock the drawers that come with gas struts.
- This tool chest has a massive price advantage.
- The drawers tend to open a bit too much easily.
- The casters can rust after a while.
5 Stanley 037025H
The Mobile Chest 037025H from Stanley might have a size disadvantage, but it does offer plenty of value. The highly affordable mobile chest features a large steel handle that you can pull out, and it has a very soft grip.
The pull-out handle enables you to maneuver your chest around for facilitation at the workplace. It also comes with a deep tote-try that is portable, and there are 2-inch x 4-inch grooves on its lids. It means that your tools will remain safe in your chest and it provides a good room for you to keep a vast array of tools as well.
The wheels of this chest are made of heavy duty material which means that you won’t break them even if you mishandle your tool chest. There is plenty of space available in this chest that is equal to 50 gallons so that you will never run out of storage and keep the tools coming in.
- The Mobile Chest from Stanley offers plenty of space for storage.
- It features a large-sized pull-out handle. Stanley has made it of steel for high durability. It also features a soft handle for easy gripping.
- The chest also features a deep tote-tray that you can remove and snap back inconveniently.
- The wheels of this chest are made of heavy-duty materials and are designed to take a toll.
- The lock system of this chest is not durable.
- The hinges tend to break after a short while.
6 Best Choice Products Rolling Tool Chest
The Rolling Tool Chest from BestChoiceProducts is all about facilitating you at your work. It features a top chest that is portable, and you can separate it when you need it. The top chest comes with plenty of drawers, and you can place small or medium-sized tools in it.
The lower portion is designed for heavy or large-sized tools. There is so much you can do with this chest. It offers plenty of storage space with one top box drawer, three small-sized drawers, two trays, three large-sized drawers and large-sized cabinet at the bottom.
Each of these trays and drawers is highly durable and safe. They also feature a mat made of foam material. This mat will absorb any oils from your tools and prevent greasing. The top unit is equipped with a locking system for additional security.
You can use the cabinet and the chest separately or together whenever you need them according to your requirements. The casters of this tool chest are Omni-directional, and you can steer the chest with its solid side handles.
- The chest comes with plenty of trays and drawers.
- The top chest is portable, and you can use it with the bottom cabinet or separate it according to your job needs.
- The top chest comes with a lock system.
- It offers plenty of storage where you can place your different sized tools and equipment.
- The Omni-directional casters are not durable and tend to rust.
- It does tend to dent a bit easier.
7 Keter Modular 5-Drawer
The Modular from Keter is perfect for garage settings. It is an ideal toolbox for auto repairers. It is available in two different colors and features a highly durable construction using polypropylene resin. The cabinet comes with a central locking system. Now you can lock one drawer and all others will remain secure.
The drawer at the bottom provides deep space for storage where you can place your large-sized tools. In addition to that, sixteen small bins are removable, and you can organize each of them according to your preferences and needs.
Moreover, the integrated handles for carrying can be replaced with lockable swiveling casters if you want to move your chest around.
- The 5-Drawer cabinet from Keter is made of polypropylene resin for durability and strength.
- You can lock/unlock one drawer to lock/unlock the rest of the four with a central locking system.
- The drawer at the bottom can keep long size tools
- There are sixteen small bins that you can remove to improve your storage space and keep it organized.
- It is not the best option if you are looking for a steel framed chest.
- It is expensive given that it is not made of metal.
8 WEN 74606
The 74606 tool cabinet from WEN is equipped with six different drawers and has a very sleek looking design. If you are looking for price convenience, then you don’t have to look any further. Each of the drawers has a depth of 18.3-inch. It means you have plenty of storage space to work with.
The drawers feature ball bearing, and each of them has a load capacity of 50 lbs. To add to that the cabinet also features large sized 5-inch x 2-inch caster and four of them. These heavy-duty casters keep things easy for you when you want to move around your tool cabinet.
It comes at a very affordable price and offers plenty of conveniences. The cabinet also boasts a central locking mechanism which means that you only have to lock/unlock one drawer to get them all done. The overall storage capacity of this cabinet is 7327 cubic-inch which is good enough to store different tools and equipment.
- The tool chest comes with six highly durable drawers t keep different sized tools safe. Each of them comes with 18.3-inch depth.
- The drawers come with ball bearing, and each has 50 pounds load capacity.
- It features a central locking system for extra safety.
- The casters of this cabinet are 5-inch x 2-inch in size for convenient mobility.
- The frame of this cabinet is not made of highly strong metal.
- The central locking system is not extraordinary.
9 Homak H2Pro
The H2Pro provides incredible storage space with the help of its eight drawers. It is available in three different colors that you can choose according to your interior preferences. In addition to that, you can also add more space is you buy Homak’s roller cabinet.
The H2Pro comes with a tubular locking system which will prevent you from locking each drawing separately. Now you can lock all drawers at once. The drawer pulls are made of aluminum, and they offer plenty of rigidity, also, to add to the looks of this chest.
Moreover, you will also find drawer liners that will enable you to create a separation within the space and organize your tools accordingly. Furthermore, the drawer slides come with ball bearing that you can easily remove or replace.
Ball-bearing helps the drawers to slide out conveniently, and same goes with this chest too. Homak has also equipped the chest with gas struts that have full extensions. Homak has used its vast industry knowledge to make this tool chest, and it seems to work out pretty well.
- The 8-Drawer tool chest from Homak comes with top quality tubular locking mechanism.
- It features drawer pulls made of aluminum which adds plenty of strength.
- Each drawer can bear up to 50 lbs load.
- The casters of this chest can endure plenty of weight.
- You also get drawer liners to keep your tools separated from one another.
- The bottom drawer is made for large-sized tools.
- The tool chest has less size-to storage ratio.
- It is very bulky.
10 Pelican 0450-015-110
Pelican is known for its top quality products that are designed around the needs and wants of its consumers. This tool chest is no different either. The compact mobile chest from Pelican comes in solid back color and looks very tough.
It features buttress hinges that are heavy duty along with valves that automatically equalize pressure. It means that you can place different types of tools and the chest will stay up to the task. Furthermore, it also comes with dual way handles that are very stable.
The handles will enable you to track your direction and mobilize the chest easily. Moreover, its drawers are very easy for you to access. The Pelican has been placed underneath the top lid for added safety. In addition to that, three side pockets are unsealed. This enables you to store small sized items in an organized manner.
There are butterfly latches present on the lid that means the lid will stay intact no matter what the chest weighs. The drawers also feature deflector ribs to keep everything organized. Moreover, the chest comes with a strong wheel system to enable you to steer it around easily.
- The chest features top quality buttress hinges that are heavy duty.
- Its valves can automatically equalize the pressure which means that you can place anything you want in the drawers.
- There are three side pockets where you can place small sized tools and keep them organized.
- The butterfly latches keep the lid firmly in place.
- The tool chest also comes with a good quality wheel system for easy steering and mobility.
- It is an expensive chest.
- There is not much room to place some largely sized tools.
Buying Guide For Best Tool Chests
There are so many options to choose from that buying a tool chest can become an overwhelming task. We have developed this buying guide for your convenience so that you may know what to look for when purchasing your favorite item.
What Features You Need To Consider?
Almost all tool chests look identical because they all come with drawers and different kinds of lock mechanisms. They essentially look like your cabinets, but there are some features that you need to look for when buying one.
- Capacity of storage
Storage capacity is a crucial feature that you must consider. It will depend on the number of tools that you have in your collection. A regular toolbox will suffice if you have a handful of tools at your disposal. But if you want to expand this number, then you will need a tool cabinet.
- Durability of frame
The tools that you will place in your chest are heavy. For instance, one of your adjustable chests can weigh more than a half pound. If you have ten or twenty of these, then only the wrenches will have a weight ranging from 10 to 20 pounds.
Of course, you have all other tools like hammers, drills and other equipment that are made of metal and overall become very bulky. Most of the tool chest is made of 18-gauge or 19-gauge steel while other also come with 15-gauge that is thick. All-in-all you need a substantial frame that can withstand the weight of all your tools.
- Variety of drawers
The drawers of your chest need to be spacious so that you can place more stuff in them. The edges of the drawers should be rolled as well because it adds rigidity. A drawer with a flush-design offers a good amount of space.
- Types of slides
Modern tool cabinets come with two types of drawers. The non-bearing slides operate with kinetic energy and are not sophisticated, but they do have a price advantage. The other type is roller or ball bearing slides that come with a sophisticated design. These drawers are efficient, quiet and fast. But you do have to look at the load capacity bearing of these drawers too.
- Mechanism of locks
Tool chests keep your tools safe and secure, and for this reason, they come with lock mechanisms. There is a tubular locking system that will allow you to lock/unlock one drawer to lock/unlock all others as well. Another one is the conventional padlock eyelet. You can decide which one suits you best.
- Styles of casters
All tool chest models don have casters or wheels. The chests that do come with them are easy to maneuver, and you can move them around conveniently. The casters should be heavy duty and must have rubber coating for improved gripping and traction. Rubber coating also lowers the rolling sound. These casters also come with lock systems for reliability and security.
The winner of this roundup of best tool chest is the TB2105X from Excel. The tool chest is highly reliable and secure. It offers plenty of storage capacity and is made of thicker-gauged steel. The tool cabinet comes at a good price and offers plenty of value.
It has a lid-activated lock system meant for keeping your tools safe and in one place. With the side handles you can place your tools side-by-side for easy access and make the cabinet a space-saver. Each of the ball bearing drawers has 50-pound storage capacity. The cabinet is entirely lockable and has a powdered finish.
Hope this post was both informative and interesting read. If you have any questions or suggestion for us, then you can drop your comment in the space provided below.