This article may contain affiliate links. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It’s increasingly difficult to fit a bike inside your trunk, especially if it’s not foldable. So when we think about trunk mount bike racks, we relinquish old traditional bike racks. What’s so special about these racks is that they stick right onto your car’s trunk, so you don’t have to force them in.
We’ve researched and picked top 5 products to save you from fatigue and waste of time and energy. We hope you’ll get the best trunk mount bike rack from our list.
Let’s delve into the reviews!
- 5 Of Best Trunk Mount Bike Rack Of 2023 Reviews
- Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Trunk Mountable Bike Racks
5 Of Best Trunk Mount Bike Rack Of 2023 Reviews
1 Yakima Full Black 2 Bike Carrier
If your trunk bike mount can carry a bicycle, then you’re in luck. And if yours can carry two bicycles, then you’re in even deeper luck. For us, the Yakima Bike Carrier was the only good choice in sight. We took a look at the design and mechanics and at once we knew we had found the right product for us.
But what really makes the Yakima Carrier special isn’t just the looks. It’s the way this thing works. The racks themselves can hold up to 2 bikes at a time. Although the product itself is very light and easy to install (28 pounds), it can hold even the heaviest bikes.
It also has relatively better security and protection measures. For example, the four Super Cush ZipStrip straps will hold your bikes in place securely. And the locking mechanism is as strong as ever. So you really don’t need to worry about your bikes falling or slipping.
Another great thing to note is that this bike rack works with almost all types of cars and minibusses- sedans, hatchbacks, station wagons. You name it.
You won’t ever need to worry about carrying your bikes. And your bike racks? The Yakima is foldable and fits neatly inside any standard-size bag.
- Glossy black outer design for a better look.
- Fits easily onto any type of vehicle; very easy installation.
- Four SuperCush ZipStrip security straps to keep your bikes in place.
- SKS locking mechanism to keep the bikes from falling.
- Can hold up to 2 bikes at a time.
- Foldable and portable.
- Can hold road bikes and other lighter bikes. There are weight limits to this.
- The straps may not be too strong or the bike may too heavy for the straps.
- Cannot hold a lot of weight.
2 Thule Passage Mount Carrier
Thule makes some great sports and biking equipment too. We were recently astonished by their efforts at a mounting carrier. This bike mount is a great choice if you want lower prices and more features.
To begin with, it has a very glamorous glossy design. The color is jet black, and it can hold up to 2 bikes at a time. But of course, that is nothing compared to the performance and ease-of-use of the Thule Carrier.
First up, the Thule uses a patented FitDial which helps you mount the carrier. Most vehicles only support certain types of trunk mounts, so this is a great idea. It also means that the carrier can easily adjust to any vehicle you use, although we recommend it better for sedans and hatchbacks.
Secondly, their patented technology, the Stay-Put anti-sway, keeps bikes from moving or swaying even at high speeds. We like this very much, assuming that most bikes fall off very easily. There are also soft rubber pads to prevent the bikes or the carrier from scratching your trunk or hatch.
As for the locking mechanism, they use only the finest quality techniques to ensure that your bikes are kept in place. As of now, they only support 2 or 3 bikes (depending on the exact model you choose to buy).
- Low price; easily affordable.
- Can hold two bikes, great for family trips.
- Patented FitDial technology allows the mount to adapt to your vehicle.
- Stay Put anti-sway technology keeps the bikes firmly mounted and balanced.
- Very efficient locking
- Pretty durable.
- The external glossy design which looks and feels good.
- Parts and screws are not durable and may loosen over time.
- Too heavy; pressure can damage or depress the hatch.
3 Allen Sports Deluxe Trunk Mountable Bike Rack
Allen Sports is a well-known internationally acclaimed brand which has garnered over 51 years of Quality Control and assessments. Their Deluxe Trunk Mount Bike Rack is just a reminder that hard work pays off. We especially love this design, mostly because it just has that sporty vibe.
Coming down to the specifications, this is one of the few trunk mountable racks which can accommodate not one or two, but four scandalous road bikes. This is what sets it apart from the rest of the low-budget companies.
Although come to think of it, more bikes equal more weight, which can actually be pretty inconvenient. So we recommend this for heavier/larger sedans or hatchbacks, or mostly for minivans and SUVs.
The size is pretty big too, and the rack extends diagonally upwards. But apart from that, we’re in love with the patented tie-down system. To be fair, this system secures every bike individually. Which is pretty impressive.
And if that doesn’t interest you, then listen to their warranty claims. One whole lifetime. That’s should be enough to the average human. This is the first bike rack in our list to offer a warranty, let alone a lifetime warranty.
- Can accommodate 4 bikes. Perfect for larger families or biking groups.
- Works better with SUVs and minivans, although some heavier sedans and hatchbacks can use it too.
- Patented tie-down technology individually straps down every bike for a more secure and focused hold.
- Does not let the bikes fall.
- Lifetime warranty claim for easier and reliable purchases.
- Trivial installation. Doesn’t require much
- 4 bikes may make the rack heavier, resulting in indents or scratched (read our buying guide for further info).
- Size is too big and blocks the view of the driver and other drivers.
4 Hollywood Racks Trunk Mounted
We’ve known a lot of bike rack brands in the past, but Hollywood Racks didn’t ring a bell much. That was until we tried it for ourselves. We soon realized that although the name is new, the craftsmanships definitely took years of practice.
This rack from Hollywood Racks has the perfect metallic look paired with the most exceptional performance and security features. It can carry a maximum of two bikes at a time, which is the premium number as more bikes would increase the weight.
It also makes use of an adjustable high raise frame, which means that the rame of the rack will not scrape against the spoiler or the hatch. But one more thing which makes us intrigued is the hatch anchors. These anchors are paired with secure hooks which altogether keep the bikes in place.
A faulty bike rack can damage the bikes and drop them. The Hollywood Racks Trunk Carrier keeps your bikes in place.
Apart from that, we just love the metallic black/grayish look. We used this rack for 6 test drives, and all the time the screws were securely in place. This is a great new innovation, even if you’ve never heard the name before.
- Glossy metallic look to bring inspiration and a sense of security.
- Quick-attack hooks to keep the bikes safe and secure.
- Hatch anchors root the bikes in place and stop them from falling.
- High-rais frame, which means that the frame will have minimal contact with the hatch or roof.
- Screws and handles will stay safely in place for multiple rides.
- Requires a car with a bumper.
- Instruction manual may be ambiguous or hard to read or understand.
5 Saris Bones 801 3-Bike Mount Rack
Saris’s Bones 801 is the last item on our list. Once we had picked out our top 4 it was hard to choose a 5th favorite product. Mainly because there aren’t many good brands out there. Saris is one that stuck out the most for us. This bike rack can store up to 3 bikes at a time, each weighing as much as 35 pounds.
We like the touch with the arched design. It looks pretty unique and fits easily over any type of vehicle. Though if you want to fit three bikes we recommend bigger sedans and hatchbacks.
Unfortunately, like the Hollywood Racks, this too requires a rear bumper. So if your car doesn’t have that then you can’t use it. But we’re too blinded by the strength and security for the product.
To give you a fair picture, the Saris Bones 801 uses 100% recyclable material which has been treated against rust. Many people find this to be a major advantage in terms of durability. This model uses anti-sway technology to make sure that the straps and bikes are in place all through the ride.
Most of the times the problem is with bikes falling off or getting damaged. Another thing to note is the arched structure, which fits right over most spoilers and sedans.
- Can carry 3 bikes of 35 pounds each.
- Bigger and better than the rest.
- Arched design fits over all types of vehicles and spoilers.
- Uses pure recyclable material which is rust and stain proof.
- Anti-sway straps keep the bikes firmly in place.
- Very strong and durable; heavy duty injection molded arms.
- Requires a rear bumper. Cars without rear bumpers can’t use this product well.
- Straps may come to lose or the bikes may scrape against the hatch.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Trunk Mountable Bike Racks
The best trunk mountable racks are pretty hard to find, seeing as how many of them fail and fall apart. This is a big issue with a lot of racks, so be sure to watch out for this. For more in-depth discussions, read our buying guide for watching out for the best racks out there.
Most trunk mount racks are made for either 2 or 3 bikes. Unfortunate, three is the most you can get out of any bike rack. So you must decide: how many bikes do you need to carry? Are you traveling alone or as a family? If you like to ride around a bit with your family, then the 3-bike carriers are best for you. If you’re alone or just have a biking partner, then a 2-bike carrier is the right choice.
Many people may ask: why not just buy a 3-bike carrier just in case? The problem is pricing. 3-bike carriers are more expensive and even heavier. There can also be an issue with the size of the product. But if you want to take the budget risk then be our guest. Bike racks rarely hold 4 or more bikes, mostly due to weight and size problems (read on for more info on this).
Weight and Size
Like all material objects, a bike rack also has a weight and size. The size is very important when considering a rack. This is basically because if the rack is too big then it can:
- Block your vision.
- Be too heavy.
- Get hit by other cars (since it extends beyond your car’s boundaries).
So always remember to buy one which fits the exact dimensions of the back of your car. Buying one which is too big is risky.
For weight, a rack which is too heavy can:
- Shatter the back window.
- Indent or depress the trunk or hatch.
- Losen the locks and fall off the vehicle.
- Be hard to install.
Ensure that the weight is within standard recommendations (up to 50 pounds).
There’s no point in having a bike rack if the bikes keep falling off. Bike racks use locking mechanisms and straps to hold the bikes in place. For a trunk mount carrier, the locking should be perfect. The thing is that if the bikes fall you won’t even be able to see them. And they can even come in the way of some other users. The more the straps the better the security. We suggest taking the rack on a test drive in a safe space, or even an empty parking lot.
We’ve heard of numerous cases where the screws, locks, handles, straps, or some other component came lose and just didn’t work anymore. To avoid this, ensure that the parts are perfectly in place. It would be a great idea to check for QC marks or some certificates. Otherwise, you’ll have to test the product yourself.
So there you have it. Our top 5 picks for the best trunk mounted bike racks in the industry. Of all of these, we recommend the first 3 products. But once you see the features, you’ll realize that all of them are premium quality. So just choose whichever one you feel comfortable with.
And if you don’t like our products, then check out our buying guide. We’ve laid down the 4 most important points to always remembering when buying a rack. Personally, we feel that these points will do more than enough for you. And as always, happy cycling!